Social Housing

What is social housing?

Social housing is secure, affordable rental housing for people on low income with housing needs. Wentworth is a registered provider of social housing in NSW.  

Tenants who live in social housing pay a percentage of their income as rent.

Am I eligible?

To assess your eligibility for Social Housing, you must provide evidence for yourself and each person on your application aged 18 years and over. You will need to provide evidence of the following:

  • your identity
  • all your sources of income and assets
  • New South Wales (NSW) residency or an established need to live in NSW
  • citizenship or permanent residency of Australia
  • any land or property you or anyone on your application own, or part own
  • your ability to sustain a successful tenancy, without support or with appropriate support in place if applicable
  • repayments of any former debts to a social housing provider (if applicable)
  • any ongoing medical condition or disability that impacts on the type of housing you or a member of your household need and evidence to support what is required.

For more information please visit here.

How do I apply?

Applications for social housing in NSW are registered using the Housing Pathways platform.

There are three ways you can apply:

  1. Online by clicking this link
  2. Over the phone by calling the Housing Contact Centre on Ph: 1800 422 322 and follow the prompts.


Once you have lodged your forms, our Housing Pathways staff will process and assess your application. If further information is needed, we will let you know.

The Wentworth team is here to support you through the application process. If you already have an active Housing application and would like to check on the status you can contact the Housing NSW Office directly or call through Wentworth’s Contact centre and ask to speak to a Housing Pathways staff member.

Click here to visit Housing Pathways

Please contact our Customer Service Team on: